Next weekend marks the opening of the film Groundswell, made possible by the partnership of Patagonia and Raincoast Conservation Foundation, starting on the extreme west coast of Vancouver Island in Tofino. The film will continue to release down the west coast, ending in Cardiff California. My good friend and talented photographer Jeremy Koreski went along for project, as both he and Dean Azim shot all the stills on the journey into the Great Bear Rainforest. The purpose was to film and document the incredible wildlife and untouched coastline rainforest that would be drastically affected by the proposed Northern Gateway tar sands oil pipeline. It would start in Bruderheim Alberta, and stretch all the way across the Rocky Mountains and out to the coastal city of Kitimat British Columbia. As you'll read below, I included a small excerpt from Jeremy's personal blog, as he shared some thoughts on the magnitude of the experience.
"Last October, after a year and a half of preparations, I left Port Hardy on a boat trip with Dean Azim, Peter Devries, the Raincoast Conservation Foundation and a crew from Patagonia that included Chris and Dan Malloy, Trevor Gordon and Scott Soens. For ten days we sailed through the Great Bear Rainforest in search of good waves, and had the opportunity to surround ourselves with the wildlife of the Great Bear. I was amazed by the amount of life we saw there in such a short period of time— from sailing with a pod of orcas to sharing a river full of salmon with a mother grizzly and her two cubs, each day presented something special."
If you live in one of the following cities, I highly suggest you try to attend this screening.
• Shelter Restaurant Tofino – Thursday November 1
• University of Victoria David Lam Auditorium – Friday November 2
• Science World Vancouver – Saturday November 3
• Patagonia Seattle – Wednesday November 7
• Patagonia Portland – Thursday November 8
• Mill Valley at Proof Lab – Saturday November 10
• Patagonia Santa Cruz – Tuesday November 13
• Patagonia Ventura Tin Shed Courtyard – Thursday November 15
• Patagonia Cardiff – Saturday November 17
• Pender Island, BC – Saturday Dec 1
Photos by Jeremy Koreski