I've been speaking with Manabu from Japanese label Southern Field Industries a lot lately. Launched in 2008 and run mostly by himself and his wife, they focus on crafting a small line of canvas products with great focus given to the details of each piece. Manabu has had many years of experience in leather work, as he was working in his fathers factory, producing equestrian products for the horse racing industry. For me to want a rucksack, there needs to be a lot of focus on the details, in particular, the ones I need a bag to have. SFI has combined two of my favorite components with these rucksacks; British Millerain Waxed Cotton and Red Wing Shoes Boot Lace as the closure. I'm looking forward to a few special projects with Southern Field Industries.
• Waxed Cotton Body (from British Millerain)
• Japanese Woven #9 Cotton Canvas Lining
• Japanese Vegetable Tanned Cow Leather
• Boots Lace Drawstring Cord(from Red Wing Shoes)
• YKK "Excella" Zipper
• Japanese Solid Brass Hardwares
• Height 16.5" x Width 14.25" x Depth 4"
• All Handmade in Japan